Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Beware: Do not let the guys from "tech support" on your computer

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Beware: Do not let the guys from "tech support" on your computer
  • From: Mike <kenziem [ at ] sympatico [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 15:14:46 -0400
On Monday 11 April 2011 10:16:30 Shawn H Corey wrote:
> On 11-04-11 10:11 AM, Bart Trojanowski wrote:
> > Do you have caller display?
>
> No, but they probably disabled it anyway.  I did try *57 either.

When I was making such calls for Nortel only 1 person questioned me, most just
gave me their IP address.  And I was calling from an outside line.

The correct response to such a call is,  thanks for the information,  I'll
call back when I'm not so busy then call the  number you have for the helpdesk
NOT the one the called might give you.

Eventually an email was send out to the people letting them know that they
would be getting a call.  Given how easy it is now to copy company mail
templates it still could have been a well planned phishing attack,  since most
people would not call the numbers provided to confirm.

--
Collector of vintage computers http://www.ncf.ca/~ba600