Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Alsaplayer woes in Lucid now seemingly resolved

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Alsaplayer woes in Lucid now seemingly resolved
  • From: "Prof. John C Nash" <nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 16:23:59 -0500
As some of you are aware, I've been concerned that some Lucid (Ubuntu 10.04) apps don't
work correctly. alsaplayer was one of these. However, on Wed. I noted that there was a
newer version of alsaplayer in that project's site. It built and ran fine on my ASUS
UL30A. However, it did not build to a satisfactory install on a 32 bit Acer laptop
(problem with sound modules).

As I was asked to put a bug report on Launchpad by alsaplayer lead developer, I first took
a clean install of Lucid on an external drive and tested the install of alsaplayer from
repository. (This was on a Eee 900). Worked fine, though it had failed before and led to
Linux Mint Debian being the main distro on that machine new. Back to the Acer -- remove
built alsaplayer and install from repository. Works fine.

So it looks like whatever glitch was present is now gone. I suspect it was in an Ubuntu
patch to GTK somewhere.

JN