Re: [OCLUG-Tech] privoxy or similar tunnel?

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 08:26:57PM -0500, Prof. John C Nash wrote:

> I've a server in Canada and am thinking of trying privoxy or similar
> tunnel. Does anyone have experience or advice on use of privoxy or
> similar tools?

If you are going to setup an internet accessible web proxy you need
one that supports authentication. Privoxy does not support any
authentication. A web proxy like squid does support authentication
but I recommend that you use ssh with the "DynamicForward" option to
create a socks tunnel. It is trivial to setup.

Start the tunnel with:

ssh -D 1080 server-in-canada

Set the web browser proxy to use SOCKS V5 with localhost 1080 as the
SOCKS Host.

Watch TVO.

There is/was a firefox plugin that will give you a button to easily
turn the proxy settings on and off.

If she is using that other OS the ssh client putty also supports
dynamic (SOCKS) tunnels.

--
sg