Re: [OCLUG-Tech] privoxy or similar tunnel?

Many thanks to all for replies.
Stephen's suggestion proved the ticket, given my setup.

To provide the steps in case others interested:

1) get the connection going by opening a terminal and issuing

ssh -D 1080 (me)@(myserver).ca

We use ssh keys already on this machine for doing cron-based backups, so this is very
suitable to our machines.

2) On Firefox (for us, at least), go to Edit/Preferences/Advanced choose Network tab, then
Settings under Connections.
Activate 'Manual proxy', (default is "use System proxy settings"), and in SOCKS box put
localhost with port 1080.

Note: I put 1090 on my machine in both this and the ssh line above so I would avoid any
collisions when Mary using the tunnel. Is that needed? A good or bad idea? I'm relatively
ignorant of these aspects of the tunnelling approach.

3) Installed QuickProxy add-on to Firefox that allows a quick toggle of the proxy on and
off. I first tried FoxyProxy but did not have much joy -- too complicated and not
well-documented (i.e., in the Help) for quick setup in this case. However, others may want
to comment.

I like to exit the ssh proxy when done. Is that a good/bad/indifferent choice?

Best,

JN