Re: [OCLUG-Tech] privoxy or similar tunnel?

On Sun, Dec 26, 2010 at 8:26 PM, Prof. John C Nash <nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My wife wants to view some TVO transmissions over the Net while in the USA, but gets a
> message that she is in the USA and content is only for Canada. I've a server in Canada and
> am thinking of trying privoxy or similar tunnel. Does anyone have experience or advice on
> use of privoxy or similar tools?

I do something similar to this (in reverse) for various reasons.  I
have a transparent proxy availble in the US, and I just blanketly add
DNS entries for domains/services I want to appear "american" as to the
IP of that proxy.  That way I don't even need to change browser
setting.  Just add domains to my list of "to be re-directed" domain in
my dnsmasq.

I have a VPN I tunnel all those through which is available wherever i
travel, but poor man's VPN tunnel (ssh -L) has worked for temoprary
things if I didn't have the normal ipsec VPN available.

--
Aidan Van Dyk                                             Create like a god,
aidan [ at ] highrise [ dot ] ca                                       command like a king,