[OCLUG-Tech] crack vi-x

in short: Does anyone know about a crack program for a vi -x encrypted
file?

Longer story:

A friend has a file with accounts and passwords that is encrypted with
"vi -x" under solaris so it's basic enigma crypto on it.
Of course the password is long lost (person knowing it may have left
company long time ago) so he asked if I knew any way to crack it.

Long story short - I googled around and in the end I told him to find
alternate solutions/don't hope that I will ever be able to decrypt it,
but now I'm on the case for personal reason.

When I'm reading here and there I find all over the place that the crypt
used is a stripped down version (historical due to US export laws at the
time) and is "easy" to crack but no where do I see any crack program.

I found unixcrypt-breaker (offspring from cbw) pkcrack (using vimzipper)
and some more like that but they all ask for a plaintext file to compare
with and guessing on what to me looks like almost byte by byte and when
it looks good it states "found it".
I created a new vi-x file and to make it easy for unixcrypt-breaker I
used the true cleartext file as a "corpus" file but even then it failed
to decrypt it properly (just came close).

Playing around on linux I found that there is no crypt but mcrypt is
there and can be convinced to do the job.

I wrote a small shell script that in essense does
 for i in $(cat wordlist);do
   mcrypt -a enigma -d --keymode scrypt \
   -k $i --bare <text.clear >text.crypt
   file text.crypt|grep ASCII && break
  done

(plus some more stuff to show progress and actually show the pwd when
found) and it can test about 30 passwords/sec (did run it against about
300k words - no hit).

Now that speed is of course way to slow and requirement of wordlist is
an issue so I looked around for someone who already written a better
version - none found.
Next step - write my own and not being a programmer by trade it would
take time.

I looked at Crack v5.0b, the psw cracker by Alec Muffet, and it seems
like the rule enging from there would be a good to replace the word
list.
Then I would just need to write something to process the file, check the
output for non printable characters and then save the candidates found
(guessing wrong psw could still generate a good text file - specially if
it's small).

Now to my questions
- is there really no program already written that does some kind of
dictionary/brute force attack on a vim-x file?
- if not - any programmer interested in writing it (for free/the good of
everyone) ?

Techwiz, Peter Sjoberg    PGP key (12F506C8) on keyserver & homepage
Key fingerprint =  3DC2 CEBA 1590 B41A 3780  955A DB42 02BB 12F5 06C8
mailto:peters-oclug AT techwiz.ca http://www.techwiz.ca/~peters