Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Fwd: Fwd: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Fwd: Fwd: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender
  • From: "Dave O'Neill" <dmo+oclug [ at ] dmo [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 10:50:54 -0400
On Mon, Aug 02, 2010 at 07:34:13AM -0400, Dave O'Neill wrote:
I've got the go-ahead to get OCLUG set up on Hosted CanIt. Someone in charge needs to fill out http://www.roaringpenguin.com/node/hostedform to get things rolling.

Seeing that nobody's filled out the form, I've gone ahead and done so. Here's the relevant bits from the activation email:

	The Hosted CanIt account for oclug.on.ca is ready.

	Please visit http://www.roaringpenguin.com/preparing-for-hosted-canit
	to learn how to set up your domain for Hosted CanIt.

	To log onto Hosted CanIt, please visit:

	https://antispam.roaringpenguin.com/canit/

	Username: admin [ at ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca
	Password: <redacted>

	Once you have familiarized yourself with the system, you can point
	your MX records at it.  Please publish the following MX records:

	oclug.on.ca.  1d  IN  MX  10 oclug.on.ca.mf.canit.ca.
	oclug.on.ca.  1d  IN  MX  20 oclug.on.ca.mg.canit.ca.

	You should avoid publishing MX records that point directly
to your back-end mail server; such records will permit spammers to bypass Hosted CanIt completely.

The next steps are:

1) Let me know what I should configure as the email address for this account (right now, it's me). An alias for the tech people responsible for managing OCLUG's email would be preferable to a single address.

2) Someone responsible for email contacts me and I'll pass along the admin password for OCLUG's Hosted CanIt realm.

  3) That person plays around with https://antispam.roaringpenguin.com/canit/
     for a bit to see if they're comfortable with it.

4) Disable spam filtering and greylisting on Tux for email relayed via Hosted CanIt's MX machines.

5) Change MX records for oclug.on.ca and lists.oclug.on.ca to Hosted CanIt (as above), and firewall off port 25 from the rest of the world.

Then, you can turn off the ancient copy of SpamAssassin on tux, and disable postgrey and other spam-filtering features.

Alternatively, if you decide not to proceed, please let me know and I'll tear down the Hosted CanIt realm I've set up.

Cheers,
Dave