Re: [OCLUG-Tech] email filtering and postfix.

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 09:51:36 -0400, Peter Sjoberg wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 18:56 -0400, Stephen Gregory wrote:
> > To sort and filter incomming email I currently use Exim filter rules
> > in an Exim specific .forward file. For various reasons I am switching
> > from Exim to Postfix. What is my best option for email filtering with
> > Postfix? Should I convert my rules to procmail, or is there something
> > better?
> Depends on a few things, how many accounts for a start.
> I'm running postfix with procmail as a global filter. The good part is
> that any change is global = only need to be done once, the bad part is
> that it must be done in a cryptical file on the mail server.
> If I was using a single mail reader and only had to care about my self I
> think I would just use my mail readers filter capabilities, simpler to
> maintain, don't need access to mail server and so on. Of course the
> issue is that then all rules are on my client side and if I change
> reader or so all rules are lost. (anyone know of something better here)

milter-regex may be more useful for your global stuff; unlike procmail
it can see the smtp connection and envelope info directly.  And the
config file is a little less ugly than procmail's.  (I'm using sendmail,
but I understand postfix milter support is similar.)  While you're at it
you might also want to look at milter-greylist.

Joe