Re: [OCLUG-Tech] email filtering and postfix.

On Wed, 2010-07-14 at 18:56 -0400, Stephen Gregory wrote:
> To sort and filter incomming email I currently use Exim filter rules
> in an Exim specific .forward file. For various reasons I am switching
> from Exim to Postfix. What is my best option for email filtering with
> Postfix? Should I convert my rules to procmail, or is there something
> better?
Depends on a few things, how many accounts for a start.
I'm running postfix with procmail as a global filter. The good part is
that any change is global = only need to be done once, the bad part is
that it must be done in a cryptical file on the mail server.
If I was using a single mail reader and only had to care about my self I
think I would just use my mail readers filter capabilities, simpler to
maintain, don't need access to mail server and so on. Of course the
issue is that then all rules are on my client side and if I change
reader or so all rules are lost. (anyone know of something better here)

> Should I enable procmail as my postfix delivery agent? Or us a
> .forward file that contains |procmail?

I use global config, then I don't need to worry about anyone (my family
use same mail server) changing the files.
My split is something like

/etc/procmailrc: generic rules like delete spam and include ~/.procmail/procmail_pre

~/.procmail/procmail_pre: personal rules like sorting oclug emails to
separate folders.