Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: Laptop partitioning

On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 01:30:57PM -0500, Prof. John C Nash wrote:

> Does anyone have a good strategy for dealing with the Lenovo-style
> situation, which I fear is more or less a deliberate setup to block dual
> boot?
> [...]
> So we are still looking for ways to use a laptop with what I will term
> PREDATORY PARTITIONING

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by
stupidity."

Personally, I suspect it's unlikely they specifically wanted to prevent
dual booting, and far more likely they simply didn't think about the
issue at all -- which is why they picked a stupid "just make it work"
partition scheme rather than a more sensible, extensible setup.

Any attempt to use a recovery disk or reinstall Windows has a moderate
to high chance of wiping out the Linux partition no matter how you slice
up the drive, so I tend to agree with the notion of imaging the Windows
stuff onto a new drive and keeping the original for RMA/warranty purposes.