Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Re: Laptop partitioning

On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Prof. John C Nash <nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca> wrote:
<snip>
> As I recall, the structure was
>
> 1 MB free unallocated
> 200 MB NTFS /dev/sda1
> 187 GB NTFS /dev/sda2
> 30 GB NTFS /dev/sda3 (extended)
>     30 GB NTFS /dev/sda5
> 14.5 GB NTFS /dev/sda4
>
> (with some odd unallocated bits of about 1MB between)
<snip>
> Does anyone have a good strategy for dealing with the Lenovo-style
> situation, which I fear is more or less a deliberate setup to block dual
> boot? This might make a very good tutorial / advice topic, and of course be
> beneficial to the Linux community generally, since many folk are reluctant
> to go to all-Linux right away. I find they eventually forget how to use
> Windows once they have Linux, but getting them going means finding
> convenient ways to set up dual boot.
>
> Cheers, JN

This partitioning may also accommodate a recovery feature on the
laptop.  I don't have experience with Lenovo but dell creates hidden
partitions to recover the original os.  Dell creates a hidden
partition on the drive that is a mirrored image of the boot drive.  If
you delete the partition, you remove the ability to restore the
machine to the out-of-the-box configuration.

Make sure all the partitions are visible from windows before you start
repartitioning the drive.

eds.