Re: [OCLUG-Tech] How to stop spammers

On Mon, Sep 28, 2009 at 07:03:06PM -0700, Robert Echlin wrote:
> One way to stop spam on lists is to
> - only allow members of the list to post.

I've actually started had troubles with this first one.  Spammers are
starting to get lucky and spam a list spoofed as one of the list
members.  Doesn't happen often, but it has enough that I'm starting to
think about how to defeat that...

> - approve memberships, no automatic members
> - send email to ask them how they heard about your group before allowing them to join
>
> Alternately, allow only members who are referred by members. I think
> there's a way to set up so that members can invite other people.

These are all good suggestions, but still trying to figure out how to
stop the first absolutely.

> Rob Echlin, B. Eng.

	slainte mhath, RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs               --  ~\    -- ~\            <hpv.tricolour.net>
<www.TriColour.net>                --  \___   o \@       @       Ride yer bike!