Re: [OCLUG-Tech] silly DNS question? http://www.adox.de/

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 01:34:23AM -0500, Damian Gerow wrote:

Nice analysis Damian.

> There's definitely something weird going on in their zone, and it's
> been too
> long since I've worked with DNS intimately, so I can't quite put my
> finger
> on the error.

It has something to do with the AAAA record (IPv6 DNS). The server
should respond with "no record and no error." Instead it replies with
"server fail." This seems to confuse the DNS resolver even though it
received an A record.

I would love to see the zone file. It is hard to imagine how messed up
it is.

--
sg