[OCLUG-Tech] Sandisk Cruzer Profile fingerprint reading USB?

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Sandisk Cruzer Profile fingerprint reading USB?
  • From: John C Nash <nashjc [ at ] uottawa [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 12:33:32 -0400
Yesterday I exercised the Metro coupon at factorydirect on Merivale and bought 5 (yes five) USB drives, each of 512 MB for $9.95 + tax. Total for 5 is $11.25. I figure it's a fun way to give someone some software e.g., bootable small linux.

I have tested them out (fill them up with data and check they are working), but note that they have a fingerprint reader built-in. Not bad for $2, but of course the s/w is Windoze. A year or so ago they were being touted for $100.

Anyone know if they can be accessed in Linux? Or willing to play a bit. I'm willing to part with one if someone thinks they can get the reader going. (Would wine be an option?) Even as a USB drive they are an OK value. Nice lanyard too.

JN