RE: [OCLUG-Tech] DSL Packet Loss

On Wed 08/10/29 13:00, "Rosberg, Michael" mrosberg [ at ] telesat [ dot ] com wrote:
> You'll be happy to hear that Cacti comes packaged with pre-defined
> data templates for several standard traffic stats, including interface
> Errors/Discards. If you're able to perform a snmpwalk of MIB-II (the
> standardized Management Information Base for Network Management of
> TCP/IP-based internets) on your Speedtouch, then the Cacti templates
> will automagically work for you.

Unfortunately, it's more the gathering of the information that I'm worried about.  Having done extensive templating in Cacti before -- gathering CPU and memory consumption of processes on Windows machines -- I can honestly say that I'd really rather avoid it.  Knowing that Cacti has native understanding of what I'm trying to record helps immensely, though.

I've already determined that the SpeedTouch modems don't spit DSL line statistics out via SNMP, which means it's scripting time.  But it looks like someone's already pumped out a script to grab this information, so things *should* be relatively straightforward.

> Cacti also include pre-defined graph templates for these stats as
> well.
> IMO RRD & Cacti are indispensible tools for the modern network
> engineer and amongst my favorite GNU software packages

Aye, I'd have to agree.  Now if only Cacti could perform trend analysis on the raw RRD data, and graph predictions...