[OCLUG-Tech] Debian, amd64 & AHCI issues?

I am trying to convert a machine at work from a stock Debian 486 kernel to a stock amd64 kernel so we can actually use more than 1GB of memory and I am running into problems with the SATA link not coming up (and therefore no HD).

The motherboard is an ASUS M2A-VM which has the ATI SB-600 chips. There seem to be some issues with SB-600 chipset and AHCI when I search the Net but no real fix that I can find.

Has any one encountered this problem? Thanks.

Regards,
Spencer