[OCLUG-Tech] How to map Super and Menu keys onto a PC-101 keyboard

This is a copy of a message which I posted yesterday on ubuntuforums.org. The trouble with a big site is that sometimes one small message gets drowned out in the high volume of the issue of the day. Here goes:

would like to map the so-called "Super" or "Meta-"key --- commonly
called the Windows key, because that is the symbol on most current
keyboards --- to the Right-Alt key of an older PC-101 keyboard. At the
same time, it would be nice to map the "menu" or "context" key (which
generates the same keycode as right-clicking a mouse) to the Right-Ctrl
key. To do so will help reduce my dependence on the
productivity-destroying computer mouse.

I have tried remapping the Super Key using xmodmap, but it has never
worked. Perhaps it was an error to declare my keyboard truthfully in
xorg.conf, that is, as a PC-101 keyboard, not as a more modern PC-104
keyboard. I would like to do the mod at the lowest level possible,
which would presumably be at the xorg.conf level. (What use does one
ever make of those keys in a virtual (or login) console?)

Can anyone help me work out settings I need to implement these two extra keys?

By the way, I am not keen to "upgrade" to a more "modern" keyboard. I
own four Northgate Omnikey keyboards. These keyboards were sold in the
late 1980s and early 1990s by a clone manufacturer just outside
Minneapolis, MN. They are wonderful keyboards, built like a Sherman
tank, weighing not much less than the tank and every bit as durable.
Many people regard them as the finest PC keyboards ever built.
Similarly, I have heard of the "ratpoison" DE for people like me who hate
mice, but I am addicted to KDE eye-candy.)

There is interesting background on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_PC_keyboard

 --
Bruce Miller
Ottawa ON, Canada