Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Where to buy Linux-friendly wireless adapter for desktop PC

On Wednesday 11 June 2008 2:51:44 pm Bruce Miller wrote:
> I want to buy two Linux-friendly wireless adapters, preferably locally, by
> mail-order if necessary. These are both for desktop PCs. They could thus be
> PCI or USB. Neither desktop has a PC Card/PCMCIA slot.
>
> I am less keen on mail-order, because wireless adapter manufacturers have a
> history of changing chipsets without changing model numbers. I can protect
> myself better by checking a chipset in store before paying.
>
> By Linux-friendly, I hope to find a native driver and to avoid, if at all
> possible, use of ndiswrapper.
>
> The desktops belong to two of my university-age sons. One is already using
> Linux and the other is close to allowing Dad to install Linux on his
> machine. I therefore need Linux-friendly wireless for them both.
>
> Does anyone know of reliable local availability --- or a mail-order
> supplier in Canada or who ships reliably into Canada?

We (Computer Supplyhouse) don't have any right now, but we can order one for
you.  It takes a day or so for stuff in stock in T.O.  I'd also suggest
RBComputing.  Of Course if you like big boxes theres Futureshop or Best Buy.

What wireless card are you interested in?

--
Bruce Harding, Member: IEEE, SPIE
Manager,