[OCLUG-Tech] Where to buy Linux-friendly wireless adapter for desktop PC

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Where to buy Linux-friendly wireless adapter for desktop PC
  • From: Bruce Miller <subscribe [ at ] brmiller [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:51:44 -0700 (PDT)
I want to buy two Linux-friendly wireless adapters, preferably locally, by mail-order if necessary. These are both for desktop PCs. They could thus be PCI or USB. Neither desktop has a PC Card/PCMCIA slot.

I am less keen on mail-order, because wireless adapter manufacturers have a history of changing chipsets without changing model numbers. I can protect myself better by checking a chipset in store before paying.

By Linux-friendly, I hope to find a native driver and to avoid, if at all possible, use of ndiswrapper.

The desktops belong to two of my university-age sons. One is already using Linux and the other is close to allowing Dad to install Linux on his machine. I therefore need Linux-friendly wireless for them both.

Does anyone know of reliable local availability --- or a mail-order supplier in Canada or who ships reliably into Canada?

 --
Bruce Miller
Ottawa ON, Canada