Re: [OCLUG-Tech] I have installed multiple ubunutu's; I want only one.

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] I have installed multiple ubunutu's; I want only one.
  • From: Joe Burpee <jeb [ at ] burkby [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 11:08:14 -0400
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 18:25:40 -0600, Ralph Boland wrote:
> I just upgraded from ubuntu 6.10 to 7.10 via 7.04
> using the 7.04 and 7.10 ubuntu disks.

I believe this topic has come up on this list before.  I'm not really up
to date, but I did a similar upgrade a while ago with minimal problems.
As noted at
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
there are 2 suggested ways to upgrade
 - network upgrade
 - using the "alternate" CD/DVD (text-based installer)

You don't explain what you did, but I'm guessing you may have used the
regular graphical installer, which IIRC is not recommended for various
reasons.  One is that the gui partitioning tool screws up in many common
situations.

FWIW you could create a separate /home partition, but I'm not sure that
in this case it addresses your real problem.  If you haven't followed
one of the recommended upgrade methods, you might want to delete the
unwanted partitions and redo the upgrades correctly (perhaps after
resizing the partition).

Joe