[OCLUG-Tech] Re: Linux Digest, Vol 39, Issue 10

> Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 11:08:14 -0400
> From: Joe Burpee <jeb [ at ] burkby [ dot ] com>
> Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] I have installed multiple ubunutu's; I want
>         only    one.
> To: linux [ at ] lists [ dot ] oclug [ dot ] on [ dot ] ca
>
> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 18:25:40 -0600, Ralph Boland wrote:
> > I just upgraded from ubuntu 6.10 to 7.10 via 7.04
> > using the 7.04 and 7.10 ubuntu disks.

I believe this topic has come up on this list before.  I'm not really up
> to date, but I did a similar upgrade a while ago with minimal problems.
> As noted at
> http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading
> there are 2 suggested ways to upgrade
>   - network upgrade
>   - using the "alternate" CD/DVD (text-based installer)
>
> You don't explain what you did, but I'm guessing you may have used the
> regular graphical installer, which IIRC is not recommended for various
> reasons.  One is that the gui partitioning tool screws up in many common
> situations.
>
> FWIW you could create a separate /home partition, but I'm not sure that
> in this case it addresses your real problem.  If you haven't followed
> one of the recommended upgrade methods, you might want to delete the
> unwanted partitions and redo the upgrades correctly (perhaps after
> resizing the partition).
>
> Joe

It sounds like the best strategy is to delete my 7.04 and 7.10 installations
clean but the boot choices (I don't know how to do this) and install from
the
internet.  I gather that since I have no desire to run multiple
installations the
live CDs are useless to me.  I find this odd since I installed ubuntu 6.04on
by home computer with (WHAT