[OCLUG-Tech] I have installed multiple ubunutu's; I want only one.

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] I have installed multiple ubunutu's; I want only one.
  • From: "Ralph Boland" <rpboland [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 18:25:40 -0600
I just upgraded from ubuntu 6.10 to 7.10 via 7.04
using the 7.04 and 7.10 ubuntu disks.
Could someone please help get me out of the corner I am in.
I now have 4 versions of ubuntu, one is 6.10, one is 7.04,
one is 7.10 and I didn't check what the 4th one is.

I only wanted one version (7.10).

Could someone tell me:

1) What I did wrong.

2) How to end up with only 7.10; that is how do I delete
    the other systems.
    Note: The current 7.10 is only using 5G of my 40G drive.  I want my 40G.

3) How to not lose my original /home directory.
It's gone from the current 7.10 version but is still in the 6.10 version.
I have a backup but it would be nice not to have to use it.

Note that in general I would like be be able to upgrade from a ubuntu disk
without loosing my home directory.

If you find my situation humorous feel free to laugh.
Just as long as you stop long enough to post a solution.

Thanks Ralph Boland