Re: [Bulk] Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Need advice from kernel hackers !

* William Case <billlinux [ at ] rogers [ dot ] com> [071215 16:42]:
> > You can however build the kernel in your $HOME dir and install it in the
> > system directories (/boot and /lib/modules/).  You probably want to use
> > git.
> >
> > > 3) trace various trees -- operations from first mention of symbol to
> > > end.
> >
> > So you want source, not binaries?
>
> This is a new place for me; maybe I don't need a second set of binaries?

If you're not running the new kernel, you don't need the binaries.

> I may need help to get started.  Since I don't need a new partition, my
> project for today and tomorrow is to get F8 installed, updates
> downloaded and my desktop rearranged.  I will add git and kvm.  Do you
> have other tools to recommend for downloading while I am at it?

How about Debian :)

If you're using a programmer's editor like vim or emacs, I would
recommend you get ctags or cscope.

Once you have the kernel sources you can run

        make -j2 ctags cscope

Which will index the whole kernel tree (actually just the stuff for your
CPU) and let you jump between keyword use and keyword definition in your
editor.

These, I think, are the best tools for navigating source code.

> Are these build instructions above for the Fedora install or are they
> for my extra play kernel?

If you don't end up installing the kernel, then you skip the last few
steps.  Only the update-* lines were Debian specific.

-Bart

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/