RESTATED question Re: [OCLUG-Tech] producing distributable files from Graphic material. old schematic diagrams.

  • Subject: RESTATED question Re: [OCLUG-Tech] producing distributable files from Graphic material. old schematic diagrams.
  • From: Charles MacDonald <cmacd [ at ] telecomottawa [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 21:04:22 -0500
>From the replies I have received I guess I was not too clear on the
question.  I have placed a snipit of what I have at

http://web.ncf.ca/aa508/snipofAK305ZPS.gif   (2.8MB)

This is a crop of a scan of about a 1 by 1.5 inch section of a schematic
for an Atwater Kent 32 Volt Farm radio. that is about 5 by 8.5 inches in
size in the original paper from 1936 that it is on..  I scanned at 1200
DPI and it is quite readable but the GIF file of the entire diagram is
about 44mb.!  I used a GIF as a JPG is more for Photos and tries to
treat the image as a grey scale.

For the sample I did not try to "flatten" the contrast down.  this
should only require a couple of levels of Grey and that alone would make
the file much smaller, but depending on the next steps needed, I would
not want to throw away information too soon.

What I am wanting is to convert that to something like a PDF taht would
print out on an 8 1/2 by 11 sheet. Without many re-samplings.  When I
tried to just convert to a PDF, I got a large file still, but the image
had been resampled so many times, that the parts values, which as you
can see are just handwritten near the parts were unreadable.

--
Charles MacDonald               Stittsville Ontario
 cmacd [ at ] TelecomOttawa [ dot ] net        Just Beyond the Fringe