Re: [OCLUG-Tech] fonts in minimal fluxbox setup

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] fonts in minimal fluxbox setup
  • From: Prof J C Nash <nashjc [ at ] ncf [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:32:52 -0400
Thanks to all for help. I have managed to use command line xterm to get bigger terminal fonts. Putting alias in .bashrc however has so far proved annoyingly resistant to putting the same command as a replacement for xterm. May have to use a different name or some such hack.

Also the fluxbox/xdm gives an empty list when xfontsel is run. In fact I'd tried that before sending query (and should have mentioned so). Sigh. However, since there is now at least one way to get visible letters, I'm sure I'll sort all this out in time.

Unfortunately, I'll be a bit delayed in pushing this work forward, but due to M$ Windows side of things. VirtualBox for some reason is not doing the NAT linkup correctly on the Windows side, so I haven't been able to test the "little build VM" out fully. My goal has been to make it easier for WinFolk to build latest Gnumeric (it is cross-compiled to my knowledge). Also hopefully a bit of guerilla marketing for Linux. Clearly this isn't the list for sorting that out, but if anyone has any experience, do get in touch off list.

Thanks again,

JN

Bart Trojanowski wrote:
Use the 'xfontsel' (from the xbase-clients package) to see what fonts
look like.  If you run it with the -print option it will print the font
you have selected into the shell... for easy copy-and-paste after.

Anyway, it's not the font weight (the 3rd entry in the X font string)
that you want to change.  You want to set a higher point size.

400 is a bit much for my taste :)

If you want to get fonts manually and put them into the .fonts dir, see
this:

        http://www.jukie.net/~bart/blog/small-fonts

Your interests are the opposite to mine -- I wanted smaller fonts -- but
you can use the same scripts and HOWTO.

-Bart