[OCLUG-Tech] fonts in minimal fluxbox setup

I've set up a minimal debian testing setup with fluxbox and xdm as the window and login managers. The "machine" is actually a VirtualBox VM. I'm having some trouble figuring out how to make the fonts bigger in the xterm. I've tried suggestions found on the net for using

   xterm -font '-*-fixed-large- ...'

but get errors "unable to open font ..."

I also don't seem to have a .fonts directory. Is it just a matter of installing some fonts? If so, what would be a minimal set? i.e., which debian package will not give font bloat?

Thanks. JN

PS. For information, this is part of my ongoing effort to get latest gnumeric compiled. I've found the VM approach seems the least hassle in that I don't get pollution of my main workstation. I'm working on a minimal setup so I can transfer a working setup -- without all the downloaded source code -- to others by just sending them the "hard disk" (a file of type .vdi for VirtualBox). And I believe this will run under Windows. Gnumeric for Windows is cross-compiled from Linux as I understand things. Be happy to share ideas of this sort with others, as I'm sure there is plenty of room to streamline things.