Re: [OCLUG-Tech] fonts in minimal fluxbox setup

On 9-Sep-07, at 11:49 , Prof J C Nash wrote:

   xterm -font '-*-fixed-large- ...'

but get errors "unable to open font ..."

The "large" is not in the right place to be a valid X font. The 3rd position (separated by dashes) is for the font weight such as bold or medium.

try:

xterm -font '-*-fixed-medium-*-*--15-*-*-*-*-*-*-*'

Change 15 as desired. Run xfontsel to pick a different font. Clicking on the select button will copy the font name for easy pasting.

If you install ttf-bistream-vera or ttf-dejavu packages you should be able to run

xterm -fa monospace -fs XX

Where XX is font size. You may need to specify the font name -fa as "mono" or "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono".

PS. For information, this is part of my ongoing effort to get latest gnumeric compiled. I've found the VM approach seems the least hassle in that I don't get pollution of my main workstation.

Virtual machines are an excellent tool for any sort of testing or development work. I use Vmware. I am particularly fond of its multiple snapshot feature (in v5+).

--
sg