Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Programming Question re: namespace ??

  • Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Programming Question re: namespace ??
  • From: Charles MacDonald <cmacd [ at ] telecomottawa [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:47:51 -0400
William Case wrote:

>      1. Text Segement
>      2. Initialized Data Segment
>      3. Unitialized Data Segement
>      4. The stack
>      5. The heap
>
> I want to be more detailed and show (draw) where each part of an actual
> program would be placed at start up and while running (i.e. use of the
> stack and heap).  At the same time I would like to show the relationship
> between VM and actual memory.

The program itself would be in the text segment.

The data segments contain the Global variables.  those that are declared
with a value are in the Initialazed portion.

The stack has both program control information  (return from function,
and the local variables passed and used by a function)  Most variables
end up on the stack.

The heap has the varibales you create witk maloc()  and related functions.

--
Charles MacDonald               Stittsville Ontario
 cmacd [ at ] TelecomOttawa [ dot ] net        Just Beyond the Fringe