Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Linux Laptop Recommendations

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 10:39:45PM -0400, James Lockie wrote:
> Rafael Roquetto wrote:
> >I got no sound, which sucks
> >because I need skype to work.
> >Another issue, which I did not dig into yet, is the DVD RW drive which
> >does not seem to work either.
> >Eventually, I will try to switch to Gentoo and cheer for it.
> >Otherwise, I will be stuck with badvista.

Generally speaking the whole "switch distros" line is kind of dumb,
but if you're using Gentoo, I'd seriously consider it. The hardware
detection in, and indeed the whole install processes of, Suse, Knoppix
and any of the Ubuntu family are fantastic and very well-automated.

> Run 'alsamixer' from the command line and make sure nothing is muted there,
> If you unmute or turn up the volume, 'alsactl store' will save your
> settings. They should be automatically restored next boot

alsamixergui, rather than in-console alsamixer, I think.

--
"Romanticism comes from the fear of looking straight into the eyes
of the truth." - Tolstoy