Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Linux Laptop Recommendations

Recently I bought a version of HP Pavillion 9500 laptop. Basically,
it's a core 2 duo, based on a intel chipset and a nvidia video card
with dedicated memory. When it comes to hardware, I think it was a
good choice. However, I am stuck trying  to deploy a decent version of
GNU/Linux to this laptop.
My first try was Kubuntu Feisty Fawn, which is the distro I run on my
desktop. My problems began early: I couldn't boot the default Kubuntu
Live CD. It simply wouldn't come up. Then, I switched to Kubuntu
Alternate CD, which relies on debian installer. This time, the
installation process was quick and fine.
Upon first boot, X wouldn't come up. I realized the stock version of
open source nvidia drivers (nv) wouldn't support my video card
(GeForce 8600m GS). Therefore, I tried to install nvidia propietary
drivers (nvidia), but they didn't work as well (screen goes
black/blank). Also, I I had neither sound nor wireless. It was getting
too painful, hence I decided to switch  to the development branch of
Ubuntu (Ubuntu Gutsy), which is schedule to be released in October.
This time, open source nvidia drivers worked out of the  box (even
though I don't 3d  accel, I can't care for it later, at least I got a
usable system). Wireless, bluetooth, and almost everything worked out
of the box. That was good! However... no sound at all. After spending
hours searching and searching, I was quite sure it was not a
driver/alsa issue. If I tried to play an audio file, it would play
"muted", i.e. there was no error messages and the equalizer would work
properly. But the sound simply does not come out of the speakers.
Interestingly, the "mute" button on the notebook panel is activated
(lit to orange) upon boot (when module snd-hda-intel is loaded). It
works, it mutes and unmutes correctly alsa mixer, but itself does not
turn into "blue" (unmuted). Something is auto muting my audio hardware
and I don't know why. Also, there's no "External Amplifier" switch on
alsa/gnome mixers I can turn on. So far, I got no sound, which sucks
because I need skype to work.
Another issue, which I did not dig into yet, is the DVD RW drive which
does not seem to work either.
Eventually, I will try to switch to Gentoo and cheer for it.
Otherwise, I will be stuck with badvista.