Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Installing ASUS M2NPV-VM -- strangeness

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Installing ASUS M2NPV-VM -- strangeness
  • From: "Brenda J. Butler" <bjb [ at ] magma [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 11:04:28 -0400
Bill,

Remove the cd drive and the drive without the boot-loader,
and try booting with the remaining drive in the various
positions (primary IDE, secondary IDE, master, slave).
Be sure to set the jumper to "master" on the drive.  If
that doesn't work, try setting the jumper to "cable
select" (cs).

Once you get the BIOS going again, try adding back the
second drive (set it's jumper to "slave" or "cable
select") on the same IDE bus.

If you can't get the BIOS that way, remove all the
drives and see if you can get to the BIOS.  Remove
any settings for disks that aren't there (the ones
you removed) and just leave the BIOS expecting one
disk as the master of primary IDE.  Or, maybe even
start with this method.

Do you know which drive and partition that the Linux
root drive is?  If so, configure Boot Magic to put
that info on the linux kernel command line.  Sorry
I don't know Boot Magic at all so I can't help with
this.

In grub, the kernel command line might look like:

    kernel	/vmlinuz-2.6.18-4-686 root=/dev/hda7 ro

Note the "root=" entry

Hope this helps.

bjb