Re: [oclug] Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Need quick advice re:new MoBo, CPU and RAM

  • Subject: Re: [oclug] Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Need quick advice re:new MoBo, CPU and RAM
  • From: Adrian Irving-Beer <wisq-oclug [ at ] wisq [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 15:09:49 -0400
On Tue, Jul 31, 2007 at 09:25:49AM -0400, Stephen Gregory wrote:

> It won't work with your AGP video card, but I don't think you can
> buy a new motherboard that will support AGP.

You *can* buy a new (as in unused) motherboard that supports AGP, and
you can even buy motherboards that support both AGP and PCI-E video
cards (albeit not simultaneously).  They're rarer, and your choices
are limited to either older boards sold new or newer "upgrader"
boards, but the choices do exist.

I myself recently purchased an AsRock 775Dual motherboard that had the
above (AGP plus PCI-E).  The only reason I had to ditch it was because
it was incompatible with a newly-purchased NVidia 8800 GTS video card,
something I didn't find out until I already had said card (and was not
willing to return it).  However, it supported my AGP video card fine,
and it supports earlier PCI-E cards as well.

I'd offer my used AsRock board, but unfortunately, I damaged some
of the CPU pins during extraction.  While I can still offer it for
free (assuming I didn't toss it; I don't recall), I wouldn't
personally recommend using it, given that it's an $80 board that
could potentially destroy much more expensive CPUs if not
perfectly repaired.

(Said board also supported both DDR and DDR2 RAM, and had onboard SATA
and IDE.  Pretty good "upgrader" board, and I'd probably still be
using it if not for the 8800 incompatibility.)