Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Need quick advice re:new MoBo, CPU and RAM

That combo will be fine. It won't work with your AGP video card, but I
don't think you can buy a new motherboard that will support AGP. The
onboard video is fine. The open source video driver is alright, the
closed source performs better. (Debian users can install nvidia-glx
from non-free.) If you shop around you should be able to find a better
price. There are other motherboards that use the Nvidia Gefore 6100
onboard video.

The AMD 64 X2 3800 is an excellent cpu for the money. Be sure to get
the 65 or 35 watt version. I don't think you can get an Intel Core 2
Duo system without paying a lot more.

Ensure that your power supply has the extra 12v power connector used
by modern motherboards. If you need a new power supply don't buy the
cheapest one you can find. I recommend PC Power and Cooling
supplies. Antec and Enermax are also good. Others recommend
Seasonic. A 300w power supply will be more then sufficient.

--
sg