[OCLUG-Tech] Need quick advice re:new MoBo, CPU and RAM

Hi;

Desperately need your advice.  The BIOS on my 5 year old machine died on Sunday. I need to purchase a new motherboard today or tomorrow.  Of course I will need a new CPU and memory to go with it.  I am on a limited budget and will need something that I can install now and do future upgrades for my harddisks, video carde, TV tuner card and other periphials.

I have on my dead machine the following new componets I would like to keep if at all possible:
ATI Radeon 9600 Pro Atlantis (AGP)
ATI TV Wonder 550 (TV Tuner card)
2 Maxtor 40 GiB Hard disks
Monitor etc.

PCCyper has suggested and quoted me the following:
Motherboard - ASUS M2NPV-VM    $98
RAM - 1 GiB Kingston                    $53
CPU -  AMD Athlon 64 - x2 3800
            socket AM 2                      $84
Total with Taxx                            $267.90

My knowledge of this kind of hardware is limited.
I need some help deciding. I have a preference for Intel products based on prejudice not experiience.  The salesman said that the eqivalent Intell based setup would cost $120 more.  That is beyond my reach.

I have to stay in this price range.  There is not much room left for a retired guy.

Before I do price comparison shopping, perhaps someone could suggest how I can get closer to my goals.
I wold like:
  a.. to replace my board in the next two or three days.  I am currently sans computer.
  b.. to have advice on whether Intel is , in fact, a better choice over AMD.
  c.. ASUS mother board has an integrated NVIDA video card, but I would like to make use of my ATI card (AGP) if it is a better card.
  d.. Certainly want to reuse the TV Tuner card.
  e.. to move up to a basic Dual core CPU.  It can be further upgraded in the future,
  f.. 64 bit system not necessary (I don't think)
  g.. and I don't need a gaming level machine but do want the basis for the next 5-6 years.
I really need advice on this one guys -- my computer has become my life blood.

Sorry for the 'Outlook' and HTML post, but I can only use what I can borrow for the time being.

Regards Bill