Re: [OCLUG-Tech] More Name Resolution Head-Scratching...

Hey Brenda,

Thanks for your help.  Still can't determine an explanation, but
here's what I found:

On 13/07/07, Brenda J. Butler <bjb [ at ] magma [ dot ] ca> wrote:

I'm not sure of the way all this works, but places to look are:

/etc/nsswitch.conf (the hosts and network entries)

# /etc/nsswitch.conf
#
# Example configuration of GNU Name Service Switch functionality.
# If you have the `glibc-doc-reference' and `info' packages installed, try:
# `info libc "Name Service Switch"' for information about this file.

passwd:         compat
group:          compat
shadow:         compat

hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4
networks:       files

protocols:      db files
services:       db files
ethers:         db files
rpc:            db files

netgroup:       nis

/etc/resolv.conf (do you have a search or domain entry?)

I do, actually, contents of the resolv.conf are:

search companysys.local
nameserver 192.168.0.8
nameserver 192.168.0.3

/etc/hosts

127.0.0.1 localhost

::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

and of course the bind config.

I presume you mean on the server?  This, I do not have access to.

The dig command with the @server parameter can tell you if dns can
resolv the name (cuts out the libresolv stuff) so you can narrow down
the problem:

That's the trouble I've been having.  The name resolves fine; on dig,
on an nslookup.  The DNS seems to have no trouble resolving
company-231.companysys.local.  When I ping it though...

$ ping company-231.companysys.local
ping: unknown host company-231.companysys.local

...and again, only on the Linux machines.  On a windows machine, it
works fine.  Since the servers show no signs of resolution trouble,
I'm forced to theorize that it's a local configuration problem - I'm
just at a loss to know what it might be.

Cheers.

--
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
                                       -- Thomas Paine