Re: [OCLUG-Tech] managing screen real estate (big displays)

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] managing screen real estate (big displays)
  • From: Adrian Irving-Beer <wisq-oclug [ at ] wisq [ dot ] net>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 03:24:02 -0400
On Sun, Jul 15, 2007 at 02:13:36AM -0400, Ian! D. Allen wrote:

> > 2) use black backgrounds.   30" of screen is a lot of light.  Reduce
> > your eye strain!
>
> Why is a light background a strain?  I read black-on-white on paper with
> no problem.  I do use a slightly off-white Eterm background and run my
> Dell LCDs at only 15% brightness, though.  The light background keeps
> my pupils smaller than black, and that makes the print appear sharper.

http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/misc/ce01-DarkBackgroundIsGoodForYou/

In short, monitors are more like lightbulbs than paper. ;)

I'm not sure how valid the other arguments are, particularly the "uses
less power" thing.  (I seem to recall it's completely invalid for LCDs,
though I don't know if it's true for CRTs.)

I do know it's much easier to see refresh rate issues or interference
on a white screen than a black one (and can be distracting if severe).
I don't know if it affects monitor wear as the article suggests.

In any case, I'm just a little tired of hearing the "black on white
works for paper, so it's the best thing for monitors as well" fallacy.
There's a big difference between a reflective surface and an emissive
one -- try reading a laptop screen in daylight, or a book in a pitch
black room.  They have diametrically opposite characteristics.  That
doesn't necessarily mean they should have diametrically opposite
colour schemes, but it does mean you can't generalise across both.