[OCLUG-Tech] managing screen real estate (big displays)

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 10:47:54AM -0400, Bryan Larsen wrote:
> P.S.  I highly recommend 30" displays.  It's like multi-head, but better.

I prefer to run multi-head Xinerama.  I have three 1600x1200, which is
the equivalent of a single 49.5" diagonal monitor at 4800x1200 resolution:

    2.4MB  http://idallen.org/tmp/2006-11-20_01-36-01.jpg
    228KB  http://idallen.org/tmp/2006-11-20_01-36-01_small.jpg

The edges of big displays are too far from and not perpendicular to my
line of sight.  I sit about 30" from the centre lines of all three of my
monitors, each of which faces me straight-on.  Each screen is only 16"
wide - the far edges of all my monitors are 1 extra inch away.  On a 30"
display (24" wide), sitting 30" away means the edges are about 2 1/3
inches farther away and are at an awkward angle.

Big displays require a fancy video card and connector.  I run my
three displays on three old cards (should upgrade to DVI some day):
$ lspci | grep -e Dis -e VGA
0000:01:08.0 Display controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA 2064W
  [Millennium] (rev 01)
0000:01:0a.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage
  II+ 215GTB [Mach64 GTB] (rev 9a)
0000:03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc.
  G400/G450 (rev 85)

> 2) use black backgrounds.   30" of screen is a lot of light.  Reduce
> your eye strain!

Why is a light background a strain?  I read black-on-white on paper with
no problem.  I do use a slightly off-white Eterm background and run my
Dell LCDs at only 15% brightness, though.  The light background keeps
my pupils smaller than black, and that makes the print appear sharper.

> 3) Watch for sales: dell.ca often has some awesome one day sales.  My
> brother bought his 3007WFP for $1200.

I got each of my Dell 2007FP for $400CDN and I've seen them for less.  The
3007WFP is 30" diagonal and 2560x1600 (4MPixel).  I have the equivalent
of a 49.5" diagonal and 4800x1200 (5.8MPixel) for the same $1200.

These Dells each have picture-in-picture; so, I can reserve a little corner
of my leftmost display for a composite-video image of the front door cam.