Re: [OCLUG-Tech] More Name Resolution Head-Scratching...

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] More Name Resolution Head-Scratching...
  • From: "Brenda J. Butler" <bjb [ at ] magma [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 20:12:15 -0400

> So my problem, essentially, is that my Linux machine can not seem to
> ping a colleague's machine if I include the domain.  I asked another
> colleague with a Windows box to try pinging
> "company-231.companysys.local" and it was able to do so, reporting the
> correct IP.
> Can anyone suggest likely causes?  Places I could look?  Googling
> keeps coming back with ways to setup bind.  ;>

I'm not sure of the way all this works, but places to look are:

/etc/nsswitch.conf (the hosts and network entries)
/etc/resolv.conf (do you have a search or domain entry?)
/etc/hosts

and of course the bind config.

The dig command with the @server parameter can tell you if dns can
resolv the name (cuts out the libresolv stuff) so you can narrow down
the problem:

dig @dnsserver.you.want.to.query company-231.companysys.local

Or, if you like shorter output:

dig +short @dnsserver.you.want.to.query company-231.companysys.local

Good luck.

In my nsswitch I found some unusual stuff (new to me, anyway):
"mdns4_minimal" and "mdns4".  Maybe avahi- or zeroconf-related?

bjb