Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Problems Running DNS on Ubuntu

Quoting "C.T. Paterson" <i [ dot ] adore [ dot ] my [ dot ] 64 [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>:

Hey folks,

I'm trying to set up a DNS to resolve some of my own addresses within
my LAN.  My addresses are served by a DHCP machine that is not a DNS,
and that I can not change.  The addresses are predictable, though, so
I'm content for them to statically entered in my DNS.

If you're using the latest Ubuntu, you really shouldn't have to do anything. If not, just install avahi, which provides link local multicast DNS, colloquially known as "zeroconf". On Windows machines, install Apple's Bonjour, which is included in OS X.

In fact, your problems might be due to conflicts between avahi and your local DNS.

Bryan