[OCLUG-Tech] Problems Running DNS on Ubuntu

Hey folks,

I'm trying to set up a DNS to resolve some of my own addresses within
my LAN.  My addresses are served by a DHCP machine that is not a DNS,
and that I can not change.  The addresses are predictable, though, so
I'm content for them to statically entered in my DNS.

I followed the step-by-step guide at:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?s=a46cbec8a28cf695a7fdcb05fc967dc6&t=236093
but I didn't get all the results I was hoping for.  My DNS will
resolve upstream addresses (ie. google.com), but it does not handle my
local LAN hostnames - which isn't something the guide addressed in
great detail, and further googling hasn't yielded much for me.  I was
hoping I'd fare better here.

Attached are my named.conf.local and my zone files (mylan.local.db and
the reverse lookup file for 192.168.1).  My files drift a little from
the examples from the link above - I've been experimenting with
changing certain things - but all my results have been the same.

I'm hoping that my machine (mylan-220) will resolve to its address
192.168.1.61 -- mylan-220 is the DNS itself, as well.  However, I get
the following results:

$ nslookup mylan-220 192.168.1.61
Server:         192.168.1.61
Address:        192.168.1.61#53

** server can't find mylan-220: NXDOMAIN

$ nslookup google.com 192.168.1.61
Server:         192.168.1.61
Address:        192.168.1.61#53

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   google.com
Address: 64.233.167.99
Name:   google.com
Address: 64.233.187.99
Name:   google.com
Address: 72.14.207.99

I've tried making subtle changes to the zone files here and there,
restarting bind after every attempt (sudo /etc/init.d/bind9 restart),
but the results are the same every time.

Can anyone recommend anything I might have missed, or can someone see
what I've done wrong?

Thanks.

--
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
                                       -- Thomas Paine