[OCLUG-Tech] who's using my memory

Immediatly after booting my ubuntu 6.10 and creating a virtual terminal
I do a

     procinfo  memory

Result:

Memory:      Total        Used        Free      Shared     Buffers
Mem:        247324      243376      3948           0        8056
Swap:       722884           0           722884

Since I am doing practically nothing,  who is using all this memory?
Can I turn some of if off?
Is there not some kind of hog command in linux to list memory users?
Or is 256M  not enough memory for ubuntu 6.10?

I admit my system runs fine most of the time.