[OCLUG-Tech] Upgrading my machine (I know, not a linux question)

  • Subject: [OCLUG-Tech] Upgrading my machine (I know, not a linux question)
  • From: "Ralph Boland" <rpboland [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 16:53:31 -0400
I just got a short term contract to write some software but
I am finding my machine slow for the (memory using) application.
I am planning to upgrade my machine.

Brand: emachines.
Processor:  Intel 2.7G celeron.
I currently have 256M  of  DDR memory.
(note sure of the speed; my machine is 3yrs old)

I can put in a max of two  512M chips.  This is what I plan to do.
Anyone want my 256M chip afterwards it will be free.
What happens if the memory I put in is faster than the current memory
or faster than the machine can handle?
I'm not looking for more speed here but the older slower memory may
be hard to find.  I don't know anything about compatibility issues here
and this worries me.

Where should I go to buy this memory.  I live in Hull?
Can I install it myself or should I have it installed?

My graphics chip is integrated.  82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset.
I think this uses up to 128M of my memory.
Can this be reduced?
How can I tell how much it is actually using?
Should I buy a separate graphics card to increase my memory?
I do not do any intense graphics but have lots of windows full of text
(from running Smalltalk mostly).

A final linux issue.
I am using ubuntu  6.10.
I tried to get a usb based wireless thingy? (PCI card?)  to work with
my Linksys  Wireless-G  2.4GHz  wrt54g router.
But I could never get one to work.  I am now resigned to
having one inserted into my machine.
Anybody out there using unbuntu 6.10 with a wireless router
that can recommend the product/brand/model I should buy.
My computer will be a floor above the router.

Thanks  (especially since there not much linux here)

Ralph Boland