Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Upgrading my machine (I know, not a linux question)

  • Subject: Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Upgrading my machine (I know, not a linux question)
  • From: Stephen Gregory <oclug [ at ] kernelpanic [ dot ] ca>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 17:52:16 -0400

On 13-May-07, at 16:53 , Ralph Boland wrote:

What happens if the memory I put in is faster than the current memory
or faster than the machine can handle?

The ram will work at the slower clock speed, and the mainboard should except it. Do make sure the get the right stuff. (DDR is not DDR2.) Also double check the manual for the mainboard as not all DDR is equal.

My graphics chip is integrated.  82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset.
I think this uses up to 128M of my memory.
Can this be reduced?

You should be able to:

http://forums.pcpitstop.com/lofiversion/index.php/t139320.html

Should I buy a separate graphics card to increase my memory?

You should only need 8MB to run 1600x1200 at 32bpp. It seems like a bit of a waste to by a video card just to reclaim that. You could free up more ram just by running XFCE instead of Gnome.

--
sg