Re: [OCLUG-Tech] plugging in modem

On 5/9/07, Ralph Boland <rpboland [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> wrote:
I have to move a modem between machines occasionally.
When I do this I do a restart.  (I am on ubuntu 6.10.)
What do I have to do to be able to use the internet without
rebooting?

You mean a cable modem? Is it plugged to your network card or is it a USB modem?
Does it use PPPOE protocol or are you part of a LAN?

Also,  I am using internet relay chat for the first time today.
Can anyone recommend some linux chat rooms where I
can practice?

Which utility should I use for this?  I am currently using XChat.
I also like irsii.

Thanks

Ralph Boland