Re: [OCLUG-Tech] plugging in modem

Well it's been quite a long time since I last used PPPOE on Linux, now
my ISP provides an IP via DHCP and that's all. Don't ask me why.

But if you are using PPPOE, well, after you plugged your cable modem
to the pc you want to use it, all you have to do is type
# adsl-start

and this should start the PPPOE connection.

to stop

# adsl-stop

Well as I told you, it's been a long time since I last used PPPOE. But
as far as I can remember, some distros will require you to type
something like

# ifup ppp0
to start the connection and
#  ifdown ppp0
to stop it, where ppp0 is your PPP interface. You can check the
available interfaces by looking in /etc/network/interfaces file.

Rafael

On 5/9/07, Ralph Boland <rpboland [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> wrote:

On 09/05/07, Rafael Roquetto <rafaelroquetto [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> wrote:
> On 5/9/07, Ralph Boland <rpboland [ at ] gmail [ dot ] com> wrote:
> > I have to move a modem between machines occasionally.
> > When I do this I do a restart.  (I am on ubuntu 6.10.)
> > What do I have to do to be able to use the internet without
> > rebooting?
>
> You mean a cable modem? Is it plugged to your network card or is it a USB
modem?
> Does it use PPPOE protocol or are you part of a LAN?

Bell cable modem plugged into network card.  Uses PPPOE  I am pretty sure.

> > Also,  I am using internet relay chat for the first time today.
> > Can anyone recommend some linux chat rooms where I
> > can practice?
> >
> > Which utility should I use for this?  I am currently using XChat.
> I also like irsii.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Ralph Boland

message navigation