Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Motherboards for software raid with sata

On Tue, 2007-04-24 at 20:31 -0400, Milan Budimirovic wrote:
> Martin Hicks wrote:

> >> For that price I suspect that card is not hardware raid, but
> >> HostRaid. AKA proprietary software RAID.
> >>
> >> There are advantages to Linux software RAID. It is less expensive. The RAID
> >> is not tied to a specific hardware card and can be mounted in any
> >> system with a SATA controller. Only many systems there will be little
> >> difference in performance.
> >>

> > I agree with Stephen.  You're not getting a real raid card for $125.
> > Use the Linux software raid.
> >
> > mh
> >

> My mistake. The card I was looking at was the Adaptec 1420, which is in
> fact a "host" RAID controller (is nothing what it seems any more?). I do
> remember paying about $300 last year for a 2420, which is definitely
> hardware RAID.
I was over at everbest computing and did see a Promise-Promise FastTrak
Tx4310 4 Port RAID SATA2 controller for $180
http://www.everbest.on.ca/ver2/showProduct.php?id=1747
Looking at manufacture home page they have drivers for suse & redhat so
it should work under linux but does anyone who knows if that's real
hardware raid or just another fakeraid ?

I'm currently running linux sw raid but considering go hardware for my
next system.

As for the original question, I seen lots of motherboard that have "on
board raid" but it seems like they are all of the fake raid model so
you're better off running linux sw raid.