Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Motherboards for software raid with sata

ahv [ at ] avantel [ dot ] ca wrote:
It may have been a fluke but my purchase of an Asus A8N-VM MB has
not worked our for using software raid with sata drives.  The
on-board raid has been disabled and the sata_nv driver detects the
drives OK but writing fails during install. Google tells me it's a
"known problem".

Does anyone have an example of a locally (ottawa) purchased MB
(almost everyone sells Asus)that worked OK for sata drives and
software raid (I'm using Centos 4.4) It's needed for a light duty
web/mail/SQL server.

TIA

Alex
====

Unless you're really and truly strapped for cash, I would recommend getting a hardware SATA RAID controller. You can get a 4-channel Adaptec for about $125, I believe.