Re: [OCLUG-Tech] Motherboards for software raid with sata

Martin Hicks wrote:
On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 07:35:14PM -0400, Stephen Gregory wrote:
On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 07:01:48PM -0400, Milan Budimirovic wrote:

Unless you're really and truly strapped for cash, I would recommend getting a hardware SATA RAID controller. You can get a 4-channel Adaptec for about $125, I believe.
For that price I suspect that card is not hardware raid, but
HostRaid. AKA proprietary software RAID.

There are advantages to Linux software RAID. It is less expensive. The RAID
is not tied to a specific hardware card and can be mounted in any
system with a SATA controller. Only many systems there will be little
difference in performance.

I agree with Stephen.  You're not getting a real raid card for $125.
Use the Linux software raid.

mh

My mistake. The card I was looking at was the Adaptec 1420, which is in fact a "host" RAID controller (is nothing what it seems any more?). I do remember paying about $300 last year for a 2420, which is definitely hardware RAID.