Re: [OCLUG-Tech] 64-BIT Ubuntu

* Martin Hicks <mort [ at ] bork [ dot ] org> [070419 09:54]:
> > Ubuntu only has two processor flavours for x86 line: i586 and amd64.
> >
> > > Is this something that can run on Intel, or am I stuck with 32-bit ?
> >
> > So in short.  Yes.
>
> yeah, what a braindead naming scheme.  amd64 is really just x64-64.  The
> kernel got the arch/x86_64 name right, so why did debian have to go do
> it wrong and confuse everyone?  (including me, I might add....it never
> occured to me that the "amd64" distro would run on anything other than
> AMD processors)

All the Intel platforms start with 'i'.

Debian did it to give credit to amd, and recall that amd64 was the
original name for the platform.

I wouldn't be surprised if the reason that AMD changed it to x86-64
(after they had first samples) was because Intel told them they would
never adopt a platform that had amd in the name.

-Bart

--
				WebSig: http://www.jukie.net/~bart/sig/