[OCLUG-Tech] Re: power usage

On 14-Apr-07, at 1:38 , Stephen Gregory wrote:

97w	AMD X2 3800+ 1 GB ram, Seagate 80GB 7200rpm HD, Nvidia 7800GTX

60w	AMD X2 3800, 1GB ram, Seagate HD, Matrox video

I replaced the Nvidia card with an old Matrox PCI video card. I installed the AMD_64 flavour of Debian/Etch. Running at 2GHz with the performance scaling governor the system drew 75w. By using the ondemand governor the system drew only 60w. X11 did not appear to make any difference to the power usage. You could build this same system today with onboard video. It would make a good home server or server + email + web.

I also tested an old P3 550 with 1GB ram, 1HD, and rage 128 video. It consumes 70w. If manually underclocked to 366MHz it consumes 60w.

According to the Seagate spec sheets a standard 3.5" hard drive will consume about 10w when idle and up to about 15w when working. My tests support those numbers. It has made me rethink the number of drives I have running.

--
sg